Sunday, May 13, 2012

Bike Rides

I have to admit I thought this day would never (and I do mean NEVER) come.  I thought by the time Geo was remotely interested in riding a bike he would be old enough to just drive himself there instead. But today, just a mere 24 hours after taking off the training wheels, we were headed to the park as a family with Geo racing ahead and looping back.  Riding fast down hills and zipping around the place. 

But I'm not only thankful that this weekend with both the boys (ISH with his "anything you can do Big Brother I can do better spirit) taking off the training wheels I was able to etch into my mind a memory of the joy of boys on bikes- but I am also thankful for the reminder that Geo will do it in his way and in his time. He was the same with walking, talking, reading, you name it.  When he was ready, he was ready- but don't mention it before then.  I'm thankful that God has created each of my children to be uniquely them.  To be able to (as one dear friend put it) glorify God in a way specific to them.  As no one before has been able to and as no one after ever will.

(and may I reminder to tuck away this sweet reminder so as not to be blown over if, at 25, he comes home engaged having never before been on a date).

1 comments:

Donna said...

One of the joys of grandparenthood is seeing the unique qualities of your own child in your grandchildren. Maybe it is relief that it truly is a character gene and not quirky parenting. Yes, I like the phrase "glorifying God in a way specific to them." And I like it for all of us.

Post a Comment