Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Community, Time, Phone Calls (and lack there of)

I feel like this last week has been the beginning of the sprint that is the last few weeks of school.  I honestly don't know how it's May 8 and not May 1.

But as life is flying at me full speed- here is my "thankful for"s for the past week.

Tuesday May 1- LK's job.  We attended their annual faculty/staff appreciation dinner tonight.  It is a wonderful community to be a part of.  I'm thankful for the 5 years LK has been able to work there and for the people that encourage him and support him in his job.  (And with the closing remarks my dad gave, I have to add that I'm pretty thankful for him as well.  Yup- my dad's a stud.)

Wednesday May 2- Wednesday mornings.  Every other school day we have to constantly tell ISH- get ready.  Let's go.  We have to get eye therapy in.  And eye therapy is important.  And I'm glad we make time for it.  But on Wednesdays- it's our day off.  And ISH and Geo can take the morning at a more relaxed pace.  And they have time to run around outside before the day starts.  I'm very thankful for Wednesday mornings.

Thursday May 3- We got a call today.  I'm thankful for that.  We got a call that a birth mom is interested in us.  She likes us best.  It's a delicate situation and under contractual obligations we can't actually even say anything in detail about it- but by this time tomorrow we may have (as the boys call it) an a-doc-table baby with us.

Friday May 4- No phone call.  Nothing.  No information from birth mom. No thoughts no tied up solutions.  My phone has been with me all day- but nothing now.  I'm trying to be thankful that I get to go out with LK tonight.  We wouldn't do that if we had just picked up a baby.  I'm thankful we'll spend time together talking and celebrating our soon-upon-us-anniversary.  I'm trying to be thankful and enjoy and live in each moment I have with just the four of us.  And not try to understand where God is leading now.

Saturday May 5- For the E family.  They are part of our small group and have twice now come to the boys' sporting events.  It's nice to be part of this small community group with them and to share the ups and downs of life with them as well as the fouls and trick shots.

Sunday May 6- Fiddler on the Roof.  We went as a family today to see it today (my first time to see it live).  I love this musical.  I love (and have always wanted to play) the role of Fruma Sarah.  But one of the reasons why I think I love the musical is because of the people this musical brings to mind.  I can remember a college student we "adopted" through a church program.  I was, oh 8 or 9 maybe.  Less than 12 for sure.  And we sat in my parents' room and watched it together.  She, a college student, taking time to be with me and tell me all the reasons why this was a powerful story.  And for Sondra, my amazing vocal coach my junior and senior year high school.  The one who coached me on so much more than scales and breathing.  She told me how in college, when her roommates were away, she would turn up her Fiddler record and dance around the house. I'm thankful for the memories of these two lovely ladies.

Monday May 7- Still no phone call.  Still no word.  So today I will be thankful for being able to run in to the grocery and grab all 27 items on my list and be out in less than an hour.  I doubt I would have been able to do that so quickly if there was a new little one in tow with me.  And I'm thankful that the boys and I made slime and that their hands turned blue from the food coloring and that I was there with them- 100% theirs.  This would not have necessarily been had the phone call come.

Tuesday May 8- Being able to go to the Philharmonic with Geo's class (could not have easily done if phone calls had come).  I'll be honest. I've had a few words with God today- why open my heart to this mission!  Why call me down this road! Why bring chances to me that never fully mature! But, I'm trying to not recoil.  I'm trying not to control the situation.  I am instead trying to be thankful.  Thankful for the children I have met on this path.  And how in that moment I was able to care for them.  I'm thankful that on numerous numerous numerous occasions I've been given the chance to pray for a child- by name.  By situation.  Thankful that my faith has had to grow as the majority of those times I've never seen how it's gone.  And so I'm trying to be thankful for the journey.

2 comments:

Mark Brewer said...

Pretty cool that you are taking the time to be thankful for all things things and that you are looking to be thankful every day.

Don said...

As we now know, God's hand has been in this timing :). More to be thankful for.

Post a Comment