Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Ish's Eyes

We met with the eye therapist today.  Our 50 sessions has ended and it was time to assess where to now.

The short of it is that things are progressing, both eyes working more now, almost all the time, getting stronger and learning what it means to get along.  For this I am immensely thankful. 

The whole process of the brain, and vision, and how our bodies compensate to make out of whack things clear is really fascinating and very complicated. I am thankful for people like Dr. White who understand this more than I and who, along with his team, is working very hard to help ISH see better.  What they are doing will have a profound impact on his future and I am thankful that they are here.  Thankful that they are literally just down the road.  Thankful that I am not the mother who drives in from no less than an hour away (one way) with two other kids in toe.

And after assessing it looks like our pockets will be a bit lighter yet again this time next week as we agree to another 20 sessions.  Therapy until September at least.  But I am thankful that this commitment will not mean rice and beans for us.  It's not how I want to spend this chunk of change mind you, but I am thankful that I can spend it on something that will help ISH's future. And thankful that I can pay that and still run the air conditioning the summer, still keep the lights on after dark.

3 comments:

Don said...

And I'm thankful you had the same condition so that you were able to detect it early and then you knew what to do and where to go.

ComplyKated said...

You know, I remember hating going through the eye therapy back in the day. But it really has been seeing God's actions from the other side. I've met adults who have a similar issue that no one knew to catch and heard how their lives have been one of LD classes and crashed cars and struggles. It's not that they weren't/aren't bright but that they couldn't see properly and struggled so much because of it.

So I guess I am also thankful for Haley Burris. Thankful that she lived down the street and thankful that she had the same issue and that someone caught her's and knew what to do. Thankful because her struggle meant you guys had some answers when my struggles began. And because there were answers for me, you're right, I knew what I was seeing when I saw ISH's eyes. And because I knew, I refused to back down from following it, even at his young age.

It is nice isn't it, the times when we're given the chance to see puzzle pieces fall together on this side of things.

Donna said...

Thankful for a piano teacher who was the first to detect a problem AND willing to say something. After that was when the search began to find someone to help and the Burris family was able to guide us. Thankful the process has developed to where even more can be done now. Makes for an interesting summer, but if it will help him it will be totally worth the effort.

Post a Comment