Saturday, April 7, 2012

Unique Experiences, Answered Prayers, and Family

I'm thankful that on Thursday Geo was able to attend a dinner with my dad where he sat with former and current political figures from our our state.  It's not often that at 8 years old you can have such unique experiences.  I'm further thankful that he carried on conversations with these people and was able to feel comfortable in his skin around them.  I'm thankful that at a young age he was able to conduct himself well in potentially intimidating circumstances.  May he never loose this ability.

I'm thankful on Friday that-- well how to summarize Friday.  I was stressed before it began.  Yup, that sums it up pretty well.  S-t-r-e-s-s-e-d.  And then I tried to remember that stress is something I create when I begin to focus in more than out.  Something that starts to creep in when I begin to assume that I am most important and my control of a situation and having life fall just so is key.  But on Friday I'm thankful that I stepped back to remember I am not the axis and life will go on even if I'm running late.

I am also thankful on Friday that while I was stuck on Broadway because of a stalled car, trying to remain calm as I watched the clock tick closer and closer to the doctors appointment I needed to be on time to so I could be on time to get my SIL so I could be on time in Dallas for LTC-- trying to remind myself that I need not be stressed- I'm thankful I offered thanks for that moment.  Thank you that I live in a town where there are roads- good roads that lead to good doctors.  Thankful for medical professionals and insurance that allows us to have well-child check ups.  Thank you for healthy kids who only really see the doctor on such occasions. Thank you that I have a car to drive. ...thank you ... thank you ... thank you. And as I inched closer and closer to the appointment I'm thankful that the Lord provided (and yes I believe he provided it) a front row spot so that even with all the delays, I wasn't late to the appointment and I wasn't late to get my SIL and I wasn't (even with Dallas traffic) late to LTC.  All without getting stressed.

Today.  Today I am thankful that I was able to spend time with several parts of my family.  My extended family doesn't look like what I thought it would.  And sometimes, in an effort for inclusion, there are tightropes to be walked.  And feelings to maneuver. And it can be difficult.  And it can be messy.  But I'm thankful that my children have people in their lives- people they call family- that we love no matter the ways they were joined in this walk with us.  I'm thankful for watching my parents make lemonade.  And I hope I am able to model the same to my children. 


2 comments:

Don said...

I love your blog. It helps me in my thankfulness walk. I particularly love this one.

Donna said...

Where is the double "like" button?

Post a Comment